[SMW-devel] [SF] Turning "uploadable" into "input type=upload"
Yaron Koren
2013-05-08 14:34:54 UTC

I'm turning this into another thread, since I think it's unrelated to the
original topic - I believe the namespace issue is the same regardless of
the form field syntax.

I think it makes sense to keep it as "uploadable" instead of turning it
into a separate input type, because it can have all the variations of
standard text inputs - it can be either a "text" or a "textarea" field, it
can have all the autocompletion options, etc. There's nothing that says
that every value that goes into an "uploadable" field has to be uploaded
with that form; so autocompletion may be useful there.

-Yaron

Yury Katkov
2013-05-08 15:04:20 UTC
Hi Yaron!

I don't know neither if 'textarea+uploadable' makes a lot of sense nor if
it's used by anyone. Let us forget for a minute about textarea+uploadable
and focus on text+uploadable. I think it's possible to create a "input
type=uploadable" that will be inherited from "input type=text" and will
have all autocompletion functons.

Yury Katkov, WikiVote

Yaron Koren
2013-05-08 15:15:10 UTC

There are indeed times when it makes sense to use a textarea, and I believe
that's been done. If the field can hold a lot of file names, a textarea
makes it easier to see all of them.

-Yaron

Alexey Klimovich
2013-05-09 17:47:55 UTC
Hi, Yaron!

I think standalone "upload" input type is a good idea.
In my vision, upload input should carry only "file upload" case and not
"existing file choose" case, like it can be done threw textarea/text +
autocomplete on Files namespace.

Simple and lightweight for users upload input like on this picture will
be really usable thing:

http://i.imm.io/15lne.png

Such input should hide wiki-upload process from users, just allowing
them to select file, they want to use.
Leonard Wallentin
2013-05-09 17:52:39 UTC
A special input type uploading definitely feels like the right direction to go. That would make it much easier to make (much needed) UX improvments for uploading in the future.

/Leo
_______________Leonard ***@hotmail.com@leo_wallentin+46 (0) 735 - 933 543

Yaron Koren
2013-05-09 17:57:15 UTC

It would be great to have an interface like that in SF - that kind of thing
shows up in web forms a lot, including in the new Gmail interface, when
adding email addresses. (I would like to see that kind of interface in SF
for regular autocompletion too, but that's another story.) I think this
would make sense as a separate input type, though (or two separate input
types, or however many there would be), that would probably go into the SFI
extension, since this would probably require a 3rd-party Javascript
library. So this is really an unrelated issue to the syntax question, I
would say.

-Yaron

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Leonard Wallentin <***@hotmail.com